Saturday, July 11, 2015

Equanimity

                                                Stone cairn overlooking the Pacific,  Moonlight Beach, Encinitas, CA  July 11, 2015 © Marissa Roth

Today, I went for a walk on the beach….which had lots of small stones strewn in the sand. I decided to build a little cairn atop a large rock, as an homage to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who I had the great honor of hearing speak at both an event in Anaheim last Sunday, and on the occasion of his 80th birthday on Monday, in Irvine. 

My choice of stones came quickly and I built it purposefully, placing each stone in one go, as though I knew its stable position. A young surfer walked by and asked if I had built it, and then said, "...its nicely balanced."

I realized then that this cairn is a simple metaphor for equanimity - the balance of emotions - which His Holiness states over and over again is key to wisdom and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment