Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Love Letter To Tibet

Praying Monk at Ganden Monastery, Near Lhasa, Tibet, September 2010 © Marissa Roth

"Tibet holds a profound place in my heart and seems to have a mysterious hold on my being."

"From the first time I met some Tibetans, while working on a Los Angeles Times photo assignment in India in 1985 about a Tibetan refugee camp outside of New Delhi, I felt an innate kindred spirit that has remained ever since. Every day for 21 years I have worn a Tibetan necklace that I bought in 1989 from a refugee in Goa.

In 2007, I decided to go to Tibet for my 50th birthday. Not knowing, but hoping I would respond photographically, I purchased 100 rolls of Kodachrome film to take with me. I knew I didn't want to shoot digitally, or in black and white, and felt that Kodachrome would suit the luscious reds and golden yellows present in the monasteries, in monks' robes and wall paintings and tapestries.

I went back to Tibet in September of 2010 to complete the project - what I call a 'photographic meditation' on Tibet. I don't consider it a travel piece, or a political statement, but rather a love-letter to Tibet that captures the emotion and spirit of that magical place."

1 comment:

  1. Marissa has a great eye and brings the World into focus. Especially a World that few of us will see.

    ReplyDelete